Director of Religious Education for Children and Youth
Unitarian Universalist Congregational Society of Westborough
64 West Main Street, Westborough MA
The Unitarian Universalist Congregational Society of Westborough (UUCSW; www.uucsw.org) is seeking a part-time (20 hours/week 10 months/year) Director of Religious Education for Children and Youth. UUCSW is a liberal religious community offering a warm welcome to all. Established in Westborough in 1724, we are an independent, self-governing congregation affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. UUCSW is an active and vital congregation with over 110 adult members and 60+ children and youth currently enrolled in our religious education program. The volunteer-teacher-based program includes classes on Sunday mornings, a youth group, a Coming of Age program, and Our Whole Lives (OWL) for multiple age groups.
Our religious education program at UUCSW brings together adults, children, and youth to actively build a supportive community that embraces diversity, inspires confidence, encourages growth, and develops values that we take with us on our life journey. We are seeking a Director of Religious Education (DRE) with vision and strong leadership potential. This involves fostering a sense of community, building relationships, and encouraging participation of children and youth in the life of the congregation and community. Currently the DRE is not involved in the adult RE program, but the new DRE will be strongly encouraged to explore this possibility with the support of the minister. There are also opportunities and encouragement for the DRE to be more involved with interfaith / social actions programs outside our church community.
The DRE will work collaboratively with the Religious Education Committee and the Minister. Weekday hours are flexible but Sunday morning work is required most weeks unless designated as vacation days.
We offer a salary and benefits package that meets fair compensation guidelines of the Unitarian Universalist Association http://www.uua.org/careers/compensation/fair, commensurate with the candidate’s education and training. This position is supervised by the minister and is accountable to the Board of Trustees. The congregation has a strong preference for the successful applicant to be a Unitarian Universalist (although not a current member of this congregation). The DRE will start in August 2018.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Prior training and experience working with children in an educational and/or
religious setting is expected
● Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills, including public speaking
● Willingness to embrace and respect diversity of spiritual paths
● Strong organizational and administrative skills
● Working knowledge of world religions and religious philosophy is highly preferred
● College degree preferred, but not required
● Basic competence with computers and technology.
Responsibilities with the support of the RE committee and minister:
● Work with the RE committee to further develop the RE program and decide curricula for
each church year.
● Support teaching teams in preparing reference materials, gathering supplies,
● Be available Sunday mornings to answer teacher questions, welcome a new family, take
attendance, provide snack, address any classroom/parent issues.
● Collaborate on Coming of Age (COA) service, multi-generational services, and Time For All Ages
with Minister. Work with COA youth and parents to prepare for COA service annually.
● Prepare and facilitate Children’s Worship Circle (preschool to 6th grade) when scheduled
● Organize and facilitate twice monthly Youth Group meetings and support members with
● Communicate with congregation about RE program using a variety of media including
weekly website and email updates as well as monthly newsletter and bulletin board updates.
● Collaborate with the Religious Education Committee for special events as needed such as Teacher Appreciation and End-of-Year parties .
● Innovate, Facilitate, and Serve as a Spiritual Leader!
To apply please send a cover letter and your resume with contact information for at least 3 personal references (relationship to references should be noted) to UUCSWDRE.firstname.lastname@example.org Applications will be reviewed until May 15, 2018 or until position is filled.